My own journey with psychological and spiritual work began when I was a child. As a young person I had an unusually dedicated martial arts practice that lasted into my late adolescence. From this practice I learned to mediate, the meaning of Zen principles, and how to embody presence in everyday action.
However in my adolescence, inner demons that were a result of a difficult family situation, as well as sadness over the state of the world at large, began to take over. I sank into depression and isolation. I was desperate for help, but untrusting of people.
Eventually I was able to reach out, and was fortunate enough to find support. This came first through psychotherapy, then social activism, and finally through the rediscovery of meditation and spiritual practice. With these powerful means I was able to ultimately address not only the symptoms, but also the roots of what had brought me so much suffering, and to rediscover a sense of peace, joy, and purpose in life.
As I entered into adulthood, I realized that my path would be to be with others in the midst of their struggles. I got training as a counselor, then later as a therapist, and worked in Boston, New York and San Francisco. I saw people from all walks of life, in needle exchanges, shelters, hospitals, schools, and private practice. Throughout it all, my passion has been to recognize the wholeness that is present in each person, and to help them align with and live from that wholeness.
Currently I see clients in my therapy practice, and offer meditation and self-inquiry groups with the encouragement of my teacher, John Prendergast. I also provide training to other therapists and healers, and am the co-coordinator for an annual conference exploring the connection between Nondual Wisdom and Psychology. In my spare time I enjoy cycling, spending time in nature, and making art.
- B.A. in Psychology from The Evergreen State College: specializing in Multicultural Counseling
- M.A. in Integral Counseling Psychology from CIIS
- M.F.T. State of California
- Member of CAAMFT
- Co-Coordinator of Nondual Wisdom and Psychology Conference
- Existential-Humanistic Training and Consultation: 2003-Present
- Somatics and Trauma with Staci Haines: Year One
- EMDR with Laurel Parnell: Levels One and Two
- Activism bringing cultural diversity issues to psychology training in the Bay Area
- Experience teaching workshops for therapists in Harm Reduction approaches to addiction treatment and Nondual Wisdom in Psychotherapy
EMDR International Association: www.emdria.org
Generative Somatics with Staci Haines: www.somaticsandtrauma.org
Undivided: Journal of Nonduality and Psychotherapy: www.undividedjournal.com
Nondual Wisdom and Psychology Institute: www.wisdompsy.vpweb.com
The Work of Byron Katie: www.thework.com
Zen/Nondual Teacher Adyashanti: www.adyashanti.org
2013 Nondual Wisdom and Psychology Conference: click here